Thursday, February 9, 2017

Things that make you go, "hmm."

Creativity. Hmm. This is a hard one. I'm not certain how creative I am. Dramatic, yes. At least that's what my family members always say. But, I find it to be a compliment. I figure, if I'm going to expend the physical energy of conversation, I might as well make it worthwhile. When I think about my creativity, I have to take it all the way back to my teenage years.

One year, coincidentally, my dad won Teacher of the Year for the island we lived on and one of his prizes was a camcorder. Remember those? This was 1999, so I'm talking one of the big ones. Well, my siblings and I decided that we needed to put it to good use. We recorded everything! And by everything, I mean ourselves. On the weekends we would make little productions. We'd sit down, talk up a script and then get to acting. When it came to the talent there was always a hierarchy. My brother and I were always the actors. Our younger sister was an extra and our older sister was the audience (her acting skills were a bit...lacking. Let's hope she never reads this). This was one space where my dramatics were welcome. I remember one production in particular. It was a Friday night and my sister was in charge of running the youth program after church the next day. She needed to come up with something, so my brother and I jumped in to help. We decided to make a video about peer pressure and the dangers of drinking and driving. We had about three scenes. Even a car scene and wardrobe changes. I'm not being biased, but it looked professional and the attendees at the youth group got a real kick out of it. It also opened up a great discussion.

My siblings and I all live in different places and it's hard to get all of us together very often. But, even still when we do get together, it's always a production. :)
Yesteryear. Cast and Crew (including my sister-in-law)

10 comments:

  1. Joydel, I love that picture of you and your siblings! My siblings and I like to goof around a lot and no one (outside of our immediate family) understands the language that we speak. Our language is mostly made up of movie and song references that no one seems to understand, but that's what makes us fun and leads us into telling great stories. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! That's so cool. What's your favorite movie?

      Delete
  2. Joydel, It is fun to imagine you getting silly with your siblings. I remember those big camcorders. What a great way to spend time with your family and serve the community through making your youth film! I am often considered the dramatic one in my family, so I can relate:) I wonder if you have ever thought about acting in plays or dramas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I took an acting class when I went to school the UAH and I loved it! Hands down my favorite class of my entire college career...and I've had a lot of college years/classes. lol. That's about it though. I might be too old to get into it now.

      Delete
  3. I loved the play on the word production in your piece and can really picture your video productions. I remember those giant video cameras. It is amazing how far the technology has evolved since then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Joydel!

    I think that is adorable that you and your siblings did that. Do you have any of the videos still? Would you ever consider posting them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do and would, but there are at my parent's house and they are on mini-vhs. I would have to convert them to digital to be able to upload them. #oldschool

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember having a camcorder too! I remember making a workout video on it when I was really young. At the time, it seemed like a great idea since my dad used to always do the cardio workout videos, as an adult I think back and am positive that my 8 year old self gave zero good advice for getting in shape. Haha

    ReplyDelete