Friday, April 21, 2017

The Grand Finale


  • What did you learn about yourself as a writer?
As a writer, I've learned that I need to write more outside of academic writing. I've been doing academic writing and journalistic writing for so long that creative writing has become very difficult. And that's most likely attributed to the fact that my reading over the last few years has been academic and professionally focused. I very rarely read for fun anymore because of all of the academic reading that I have to do. Because I was self-conscious about my creative writing, this made the blogging experience a little difficult for me, but I definitely see its benefits.

  • What did you learn about digital writing or being a member of a digital writing community?
I didn't particularly like this form of writing. I realize the benefits of it, but if I'm going to share my writing digitally, especially where I'm not able to control who gets to read it, then I want it to be on my terms and it probably wouldn't be very often. 

  • What lessons can you take to your classroom or share with future teachers about integrating blogging into instruction?
Going back to the benefits, blogging allows for collaboration outside of the classroom. It also allows students to have a wider audience, which widens the purpose of their writing. This collaboration not only helps students with their writing, but also builds a sense of classroom community. However, going back to what I mentioned above. If I were to use this in the classroom, I would probably want to find some way where the blog is viewable by class members, but give students a choice of whether they want it to be shared to the wider public. 

  • Challenges/Successes?
One of my challenges was being a terrible accountability partner. Most weeks I was posting way before time or at the last minute and I would forget to check in with my accountability partner to ensure that she had posted. I also would just respond to posts at the same time that I posted mine, usually whoever had posted by the time I did. I typically did not come back to the link-up for the rest of the week. I saw the assignment as a chore because blogging isn't something I typically engage in and that presented a challenge in me being fully engaged in it. Another challenge was responding to people's responses to my blog. Since I usually didn't go back to the blog once I'd posted and responded to others, I wouldn't see or respond when people commented on my blog until a week later, sometimes longer, sometimes not at all. That stopped the flow of communication and wasn't very polite (bad netiquette). Sorry, y'all!

One success, however, was that I was able to share things with my classmates and read what they had shared. I believe this created a sense of community in our class. 

5 comments:

  1. Joydel, I am so glad that we got to have another course together this semester and I really enjoyed watching you teach your writing demo lesson. I also agree with you that our writing at UCF is professionally focused and not usually on the creative side. I feel that our blog post assignments have been beneficial to us because it allowed us to explore the creative writing part of our educational track that I usually feel is lacking. Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be tough posting. I think with your students you can blog is less public sites. You could also consider blogging with one site for the class to share like my colleagues class- https://31students.wordpress.com/ Ultimatelty this assignment was about learning about the process. Good work routinely posting and being active in our community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joydel, I am totally on the same page with you when it comes to the difficulties of creative writing. In my final reflection post, I actually wrote that these were hard because I am not used to writing academically, since the most writing I usually do is emailing at work or posting on Facebook. But the creative aspect is also really difficult since it is hard to find the right balance between writing just for fun and writing at an academic level, where creative writing seems to lie.

    I hope you find more time in the future to read for fun! I know that for me, it takes finding the perfect book to get me back into reading. I hope you find a good one soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joydel,

    It's been great working with you. I had it easy being the accountability partner of an excellent student who never missed a post. I relate to what you said about writing on your terms; I say who, I say when, I say who. #PrettyWomanReference

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should have thought of how bad I was as an accountability partner too! I barely keep my own deadlines, I fell short on my comments too!

    ReplyDelete